I will have poetry in my life,
and adventure, and love.
Love above all.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

re: gilbert




A few nights ago I had the pleasure of attending a book signing and interview with Elizabeth Gilbert at the Metro Toronto Convention Center. She did not disappoint her audience, which I must add consisted of 99.5% women - and I watched the few men who did attend get up and leave 5 minutes into the interview. Elizabeth was hilarious and witty, just as I had expected her to be. There were a few moments when I felt that I was attending a women's self-help group with all that estrogen-infused energy in one auditorium. My friend and I were among the youngest of a group full of what seemed to be divorcees (obviously they can relate to her books very well). As a young women at the ripe age of 22 who hasn't experienced the heartbreak of divorce, I was still able to relate and immensely enjoy her experiences. I got the impression that Elizabeth was kinda like a God to many of these women, whatever wisdom she would put out they would follow - hey, I would too to a certain extent, she is well lived, educated and older! Her thoughts on marriage would make a newlywed under the age of 25 feel pretty uncertain about their decision, basically she thought it would never work unless you were educated, financially secure and pretty well 60 years old! but I think that it's more of an individual thing, you can't base your life's decisions on one woman's experience. She gave a lot of great advice that I really liked such as instead of making these lengthy lists of perfect qualities we want in a man, try to make a list of virtues you wish to possess in YOURSELF, work on those, and become someone who is deserving of being with the kind of man you want. I like that.
Question time rolled around and I jumped over chairs and RAN to the front of the stage for the chance to ask Elizabeth my question but unfortunately the last question they took was from the girl in front of me!! really?? thanks Heather Reisman (Heather's picks at Indigo whom is rude and cut off Elizabeth a ton that night). Ah well one day I will get to ask my question. After that we were herded like a cattle call to get our books signed which lasted a mere second (was it too much to expect that Elizabeth would want to go out for coffee with me after? or have a sleep over and tell secrets? or just be best friends forever? haha) So I waited until after everyone left, jumped back up on stage and got my picture taken with the lovely Elizabeth Gilbert... I called ahead and planned my outfit around what she was wearing, just kidding!
All in all it was well worth it to go and meet her. A special thanks to my lovely Jayne for indulging me and following me around with a camera all night to capture the evening.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely, i don't know her but she seems nice, and i like the scarf she has and yours too!

    ReplyDelete

yes i'm listening.