I will have poetry in my life,
and adventure, and love.
Love above all.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

in Austria with a crush on Kilmt.


Our first two days in Austria had us waking up to a perfect view of snow capped mountains, thank you Zell am See. This place has me constantly humming Julie Andrews tunes, especially through the streets of Salzburg, and there is certainly no shortage of crisp apple strudel. Vienna greeted us with rain and slugs. Once referred to as "the girl who makes friends with everyone", I am no longer playing that role. Give me spiders, snakes, bears or earwigs any day, but these slugs have got to go. I've been known to make lemonade from rotten banana peels, but it is just not going to happen this time. Thank goodness for my brave and mighty tent mate who, while I am shaking and tearful in the middle of our messy "house", is smacking those suckers off three at a time. I wake her up every two hours in the night to get rid of our new neighbours inhabiting the outer layer of our tent. But enough about that, Vienna is not all slugs, for instance...Klimt. Enough said. I la la looove everything he has created. "The Kiss" has been a favorite of mine for quite some time and now I am obsessing over "water serpents" and "the three ages of woman". I suppose what I am trying to say is, the Belvedere changed my life.
We also went to Slovakia the other day and lost one of our friends for about three hours, it was terrifying but everything worked out alright.
Last night we saw a ballet, and as a retired ballerina I had anticipated the performance all day, but of course I decided to buy clothing over food and water. Plus as poor traveling students we got the "standing tickets", so standing for hours combined with no energy is a disaster waiting to happen. I thought I was going to die of dehydration and exhaustion, so I did something bad, very bad, but I needed to do it. I stole someones half full water bottle when they left the table during intermission. I wasn't sure if they were coming back, but I couldn't afford water plus I was nearly about to pass out. So Austria has striped me of my moral compass and I have become a thief, but the landscape here is much too beautiful for me to hold it against it.

p.s they lied. By they I mean every mean spirited person to ever go to Venice and slander its name. I had heard it was dirty, touristy and smelly. How dare anyone gossip about Venice that way. My time there might just be my favorite moment thus far. I wish I could post the photos I took but there really is just not enough time. Plus I am losing my drive for taking photos, I would prefer to see whats in front of me with my eyes, not a camera lens. When I do take photos I find myself mainly focusing on beautiful doors, clothing lines and couples in love. Yes, that last one is a little creepy but come on its Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

yes i'm listening.