I will have poetry in my life,
and adventure, and love.
Love above all.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

a freewheelin' time.



"It wasn't easy; even when broken, the bond between lovers tends to hold in unpredictable ways. But I knew I was not suited for his life. I could never be the woman behind the great man: I didn't have the discipline for that kind of sacrifice. Though I wasn't sure where I was going and lacked a sense of mission or ambition, I knew what would not work for me, even if I was uncertain what would. I just knew with all my heart that I could not be a string on his guitar. I could not live in his shadow and I was ill-equipped to be his caretaker".


Just finished another memoir from the 60's, I can never get enough.
This one was written by Bob Dylans girlfriend and muse Suze Rotolo. Her perspective is interesting because she grew up as a "red diaper" baby—a child of communists during the McCarthy Era. Suze is so cool. I love reading the bits of poetry, love letters and lyrics Bob wrote her included in the book in his own hand writing. Greenwich village has always been my favorite part of New York City, reading about it in the 60's before all the folk singers were famous is probably the way it was meant to be and stay, now it is different but still lovely, if you look close enough you can see the remnants of old posters advertising folk shows on telephone poles. She also described a bar Bob and her went to called Cafe Wha, the boy and I went there last time we were in New York, it is tiny and underground and incredible. If you should ever visit New York and want to listen to live music you must go to Cafe Wha.

1 comment:

  1. That's very interesting. I live with a Dylan fanatic.

    I love, love the description of yourself.
    Nice blog

    ReplyDelete

yes i'm listening.