
Nicola in Thailand.
I was having one of those nights, the kind where you sit on your bed, watch 5 episodes of Gossip Girl and feel sorry for yourself. I have lost my voice, and by lost I mean it is really gone, completely, and I am so sick. I felt defeated because I recently got my tonsils taken out so that I wouldn't get sick anymore, I never blogged about it but having that surgery turned into a catastrophe, let's just say that everything that could go wrong DID go wrong, hence why I was feeling sorry for myself to be yet again out of commission for a few days when that phase of my life was supposed to be over. As I was wallowing in my own self pity my mom came into my room and dropped off a giant envelope with my name on it. Inside where tons of letters my friends from back out east had written me. They were filled with the most encouraging words and well wishes, better yet I had no idea these letters were coming, they were a surprise and of course put a huge lump in my throat. It is so hard to receive kind words from people, when people give out compliments our first reaction is always to brush it off, I have always had a hard time believing the nice things people say about me. A friend of mine decided that it was absolutely ridiculous not to take a persons compliment for truth. She suggested that the next time someone compliments anyone instead of brushing it off that we should say
"thank you, I receive that". It is a huge challenge for me to say that but I am learning. So next time someone gives you a compliment receive it! because they wouldn't say it if it wasn't true and plus we could all use a little encouragement. If someone says you look nice believe them!
p.s after reading those surprise letters I realized how stupid it was for me to feel bad for myself when I am lucky enough to have the kind of friends who write letters, and have them arrive right when I need them.
anyways they were really uplifting and I felt like sharing because I think that we could all encourage each other a little more.
No comments:
Post a Comment
yes i'm listening.