I will have poetry in my life,
and adventure, and love.
Love above all.

Monday, November 30, 2009

cardboard masks of all the people i've been.


Thus I began my new life, in a new name,
and with everything new about me.
Now that the state of doubt was over,
I felt, for many days, like one in a dream.
I never thought of anything about myself, distinctly.
The two things clearest in my mind were,
that a remoteness had come upon the old Blunderstone life—
which seemed to lie in the haze of an immeasurable distance;
and that a curtain had for ever fallen on my life at Murdstone and Grinby’s.
No one has ever raised that curtain since.
I have lifted it for a moment, even in this narrative,
with a reluctant hand, and dropped it gladly.
The remembrance of that life is fraught with so much pain to me,
with so much mental suffering and want of hope,
that I have never had the courage even to examine
how long I was doomed to lead it.
Whether it lasted for a year, or more, or less, I do not know.
I only know that it was, and ceased to be;
and that I have written, and there I leave it.
-Charles Dickens

No comments:

Post a Comment

yes i'm listening.